Wednesday, October 29, 2014

DREAM DINNER ABROAD (PT.1 )

CARLY: DUBAI

You, Me, Oui! was recently asked by the translation site Smartling to share with you all our dream dinner abroad. Since our blog is uniquely managed by two hosts, we decided to split it up and each tell you about where we would go, and what we would expect/how we would get by. (There are too many places to go in this world for us to both agree on just one!)

WHY DUBAI?

I chose Dubai because every time I hear about it, the amazingness of it seems to multiply. It seems to rival Japan in it's technology and innovation, and it's an incredibly wealthy city so everything looks super lush and fancy. The architecture is unfathomable in it's creativity and gravity defying designs. It's also very warm there, and located on a coast, so beaches of course!
via

SITES AND SCENES

On my visit I would want to visit the many markets (or souks) that they have around the city, in particular the Gold Souk, which is a tourist destination known for it's very cheap gold. It would also just be fun to wander through stalls with beautiful jewelry on display everywhere.
via

WHAT TO EAT

When it came time to eat, I would head to Karama and search for a restaurant. Dubai is heavily influenced and populated by people from all over the Middle East and Indian subcontinent, so pretty much anything you have in mind, it sounds like you can find it! I would probably gravitate towards an Indian restaurant because I'm pretty passionate about my naan bread but I might also go to a few different places and sample a variety.
via

 HOW TO COMMUNICATE

When in a foreign country it can be difficult to get by if you don't speak the language. Especially if the language is very different from anything you're used to. The only other language I can speak is Spanish, and Arabic is totally different from most Western languages, so I would try to plan in advance and take a community education class to learn some basics. I would also make sure I'm armed with a physical pocket dictionary as well as a translator on my phone (just in case something happens to my phone). After all, learning the basics can get you quite a long way.

via


Where would you go?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...