Friday, October 3, 2014

ROAD TRIP ESSENTIALS

via
Last week I mentioned a trip to Chicago. Well friends, the day has arrived! (I know it seems a bit presumptuous, but if you're still reading, I think we're friends by now.) I've been on a couple road trips in my day, some less successful than others (don't ever try to drive from Minneapolis to Winnipeg overnight, there are almost no towns for the last couple of hours and it's just a nightmare). But the important thing is that along the way I learned what vital ingredients are needed for success. And they are as follows:

via

1. Audio materials!! This is first and foremost. Variety is important here. You need to have music, the more upbeat the better to help keep everyone awake. But you also need an audio book or selection of podcasts to fill those gaps in conversation. On this particular trip I'm bringing Mika, Sara Bareilles, and Olly Murs to satisfy our upbeat needs. I'm also bringing an up to date iPod with the podcasts I mentioned in this post, and two hilarious audiobooks: Bossypants by Tina Fey and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling. Now, I don't know if my sister will enjoy either, but she's going to listen to at least an hour of one of them. 



via
2. Snacks! Under this heading also includes any beverages required. We're taking off relatively early, so we will not make the mistake of leaving out coffee. A Starbucks run is first on our to do list. 








via
3. A route and a map! I know this seems antiquated, but what I'm really saying is, keeping our phones charged so that if there is any confusion, we can get right back on track. (If you are in the midwest and are thinking we're crazy because you can literally take I94 straight from Minneapolis to Chicago, I know. But my sister has a "scenic route" that we're taking, so the maps might be necessary.)







via
4. A book! There may come a time when I get tired of all of our audio supply, or bored, and want to get started on the creepy new book we're reading for book club this month. Thus, I'm bringing it along. 

















via
5. Tide Pen or Shout Wipes! This seems a little out of left field, but hear me out on this one. We're driving for at least 6 hours. Who knows where we will stop, or what will happen along the way? Maybe I'll laugh too hard while drinking my coffee and spill/spit it all over my shirt. And I don't want to arrive in Chicago looking like a dirty schlub, do I? No. Thus, Tide Pen. 








via
6. Layers! You never know the weather along the way. It might be about a 20 degree difference between Minneapolis and Chicago, and I need to be ready. If it starts heating up and I'm just wearing a sweater it's not going to be pleasant. But a cardigan over a tee? Perfection. And adaptability. It's how we survived. 








Ok, so there are my tips. Any to add?

See you when I get back!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...