Thursday, June 19, 2014

LIFE HACKS: NO SEW WORKOUT TANK

Ok, so we all lose motivation to exercise. I know how it goes, you start to workout on a regular basis, then slowly over time you maybe need that extra something to keep you going. In an ideal world I would love to buy myself a new outfit, or even just a new item, but budgetary restrictions don't always allow that these days. In which case, I alter what I've already got.

So, as a part of my 30x30 which I mentioned a few weeks ago, I've got some exercising to do, however I haven't been so motivated lately. While summer has arrived, I missed that nice window in spring when it's finally warmer, but not yet hot. Also on that list is wanting to volunteer more. The result of volunteering is often a free tshirt, which may or may not fit well, and may or may not be ever worn again. The great thing about these tshirts is they offer guilt free opportunities for alterations.

I decided to use my most recent shirt to try cutting my own tank. I looked up a bunch of pictures on Pinterest, as usual, but ultimately decided to wing it. I'll be honest, I'm not putting up a picture of me wearing it because, it does not look great. I mean, it will work, with another shirt underneath, but it's not my finest work ever. Lessons were learned, I'll elaborate below.




So, all you really need is the tshirt, some scissors (the sharper the better, or a good fabric scissors, mine were neither) and your imagination and a willingness to make some mistakes.



I started by cutting off the sleeves and a strip at the bottom. Originally I was going to use that strip to tie the back into a racerback shape, but eventually I didn't. The arms are pretty useless, but my roommate stole one already to use as a headband, so I guess they are good for that.



Another change is that I made cuts along the side of the shirt, which were eventually going to be cut again up the side and tied back together, but then the first who was watching and judging my progress felt quite strongly that it looked great with just the cuts along the side. This is one reason another tank will definitely be required underneath. Or maybe I'll tie them tomorrow. I tried not to be too careful and take some risks, but ultimately it was a little stressful.




And as you can see the last change I made was cutting the neck so it was more tank-like. The sides for the arm holes were cut way too big, and are the other reason an additional tank is required underneath. Particularly if, like myself, you are rather large-chested. 

So ultimately although I learned some lessons with this project, I'll definitely have to try it again to see if I can make something that works a bit better.

Have you tried cutting up a tshirt into a tank top? How did it work out? Any tips for my future attempts?




No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...