Wednesday, June 18, 2014

SUMMER SERIES: GRAPEFRUIT + BASIL SORBET

I am going to start this one off by saying that I LOVE making ice creams and sorbets. Love may not even be a strong enough word for how I feel about eating them...

When my sister gave me my ice cream maker as a house warming gift a few years ago, she had no idea how great of a gift she was actually giving me. I have made so many types of tasty treats with my my machine (not all good, but most edible). I made this one a few weeks ago, and it was delicious. My Mr. is very reluctant to try anything that is not vanilla, but even he gave this one his seal of approval...

I am excited to share this recipe with you guys! It is such a refreshing recipe for the warmer weather.

INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups water
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced separately
- 1 packed cup of basil leaves
- 4 large ruby red grapefruits, juiced
- pinch of salt

INSTRUCTIONS:
1: Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan.

2: Once boiling, add the lemon zest, basil leaves and salt.
3: Stir, remove from heat, and cover. Steep the basil leaves in the simple syrup for at least 20 minutes.

4: Meanwhile, add the lemon juice to a 4-cup measuring pitcher. Juice the grapefruits into the pitcher until you've measured 3 cups of combined juices.




5: Strain the simple syrup and discard the basil leaves. Combine the simple syrup mix with the lemon and grapefruit juices.

6: Refrigerate for 2-3 hours (or speed up the process, put it in the freezer for about an hour).

7: Pour the sorbet mixture into an electric ice cream maker. Turn on and mix for 20+ minutes, until the mixture reaches a "soft serve" consistency.



8: Eat immediately, or put it in an air tight container and freeze.

What are you cooking up this summer to keep cool?

Would you eat ice cream or sorbet with herbs in them?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...