Wednesday, September 17, 2014

LISTEN TO THIS

Ok everyone,

Today I was sitting at my desk, doing some relatively mind numbing work, and listening to some podcasts. I've been on the podcast band wagon for quite some time now, since I felt like they filled my time much better than choosing music. You can get podcasts in pretty much any time length, so they can also fit car rides near and far. Cleaning the house, or any other occasion where you might be more productive alone, but music isn't quite enough.

Here are some of my recommendations for excellent podcasts. I tried to include a good variety. Some are safer for all ages and audiences than others:

UHH YEAH DUDE

Description: Ok, so this one is definitely not appropriate for all ages. I've also been told that it takes a couple episodes to really get it. These guys describe their show as "America through the eyes of two American Americans". Don't let that fool you, it's some fairly liberal stuff. Some swearing, but they cover all kinds of topics from new food products, weird tech, and they talk a lot about what the world is coming to.

Average Episode Length: 1 hour

Number of Episodes: 430ish, so quite a back catalog to dip into

Website: www.uhhyeahdude.com



THIS AMERICAN LIFE

Description: This one is almost always family friendly. A selection of stories based on a theme, sometimes very closely based, other times with broader interpretations. Hosted by Ira Glass who is an icon in the public radio world, and also broadcast on weekends on NPR.

Average Episode Length:
45 minutes

Number of Episodes:
Over 500, but iTunes usually just has the most recent one or two available. I believe if you go to the website, you can listen to their back catalog as well.

Website:
www.thisamericanlife.org

WAIT WAIT, DON'T TELL ME


Description: Another public radio gem, this podcast is in a game show format, with minor comedians on a panel answering questions about the week's news. They also have a weekly guest who is a famous person that can be pretty much anyone you have or haven't heard of.

Average Episode Length:
45 minutes

Number of Episodes:
More or less one per week, a lot of the previous episodes are also available on iTunes.

Website:
www.npr.org/programs/wait-wait-dont-tell-me/

FREAKONOMICS

Description: Based on the very popular book series and documentary (which, if you haven't seen or read, I also recommend) this shorter podcast takes a look at a specific incident, theory or problem in everyday life, and attempts to offer explanations for it. It's a journalistic perspective with an economic slant and both hosts are great.

Average Episode Length:
approximately 20 minutes

Number of Episodes:
They aren't numbered but there are currently 63 on iTunes.

Website: www.freakonomics.com

THE NERDIST

Description: I'll be honest about this one, I'm not a huge Chris Hardwick fan. And he's the host of this podcast. However, he gets amazing guests. Usually famous. And the guest is listed in the title of the episode, so you can pick and choose which you listen to based on the guest (which is what I do). These can run a bit long, and I listen to them more infrequently, but if it's a really fascinating celebrity it's worth putting up with Chris's desperation for fame.

Average Episode Length:
1hour 15 mins (yeah, I know. Fast forward, especially the beginning you can skip about 5 minutes)

Number of Episodes:
98 currently available

Website:
www.thenerdist.com

I'm always on the hunt for new and fun podcasts of any genre, these are by no means all that I have, or my very top recommendations necessarily, but a sampling of what I listen to. What are you listening to??

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...