Tuesday, September 23, 2014

FALL TV PICKS

TV is back! One of my favorite times of year, besides football and knitting weather, fall provides a new TV season! Now, things are a bit different than they used to be, where season starts seem to be a bit staggered and some seasons don't run the "standard" 22 episodes, but a shorter 10-15.

Nevertheless, I've got some return picks for everyone, and a couple new shows in the mix as well. (You will notice nothing with a laugh track, and nothing with a post-apocolyptic plot. I've given up on laugh tracks and I just can't watch any more Earth destruction.)

NEW GIRL:

via
Entering it's 4rd season, I'm excited to see where New Girl will take us. It's got a cast that makes no one feel like the main character, and everyone has their own quirks that they bring to the table. Very funny, and although some of last season's events may make the beginning of this season a bit awkward, I have hope that they will recover. Definitely check it out, and you can catch up because seasons 1-3 are on Netflix!

RAMSEY'S KITCHEN NIGHTMARES:

via
Sina mentioned this gem awhile back, and Gordon is back again this fall, running around America doing his best to "save" struggling restaurants. The first episode of this season (which is on Hulu, and appears to more of a second half of the spring season which is still available and a must watch) is a bit of a bust, heading back to some formerly visited restaurants, but has lots of Ramsey charm, and that's always ok by me.

THE ONLY WAY IS ESSEX:

via
I'll admit, this pick isn't for everyone. And it's not right away this month (middle of October, actually), but it's a fun little reality show that has quite the back catalog to keep you entertained. It's a british reality show (again, with about 13 seasons available on Hulu) with a snappy running time of 30 minutes. Not too short and not too long. Just enough time to get used to the accents, catch a bit of drama, and marvel at how many parties they can throw in one season.

PARENTHOOD:

via
It's all on Netflix for you to get caught up, and there are five glorious seasons to watch, but this week Parentlhood is back! And this show has everything for everyone. It's a little funny, a little dramatic, a little heartwarming, and always entertaining. There are so many characters that you are bound to fall in love with one of them, or see yourself or someone you know in them. I'll admit, I avoided this show for quite awhile, but finally I gave in and it was well worth the time investment.

SELFIE:

via

So I just read the description on this one, and not only is it a comparison to Pygmalion (My Fair Lady) but it's about social media as a crutch to avoid in person relationships. Now, I don't want to say either of these plots are overdone (but they kind of are) but I'll be curious to see if they can make the concept seem new. For John Cho's sake, because he's great.

MULANEY:

via
I'm kind of disappointed in this show. I know I haven't seen it yet, and I should be excited because John Mulaney is hilarious and fantastic and could be a great awkward leading character on a sitcom. But unfortunately, (and I know I'm breaking a rule I mentioned up top, but I forgot about this one) it's got a laugh track. I feel like if you are genuinely funny (and an excellent writer) you shouldn't need a laugh track. We'll know when we should. Still, I'll watch. Maybe it'll be good...

What are you excited about this fall? Let us know!!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...