Wednesday, May 7, 2014

DIY: WATERCOLOR CARDS

Ok, so here is the deal: I am HORRIBLE at watercolors. This is not me trying to be modest, nor is it me trying to fish for compliments (but feel free to give me some if you'd like, it would help get me out of by muddy watercolor slump). However, that being said, I LOVE the way that they look.

I have been seeing a lot of different types of cards and prints out there recently- on Etsy, at PaperSource and other card hot spots- and with each card I see, (for some reason) I have been inspired to make some of my own.

So bear with me, and don't judge too harshly... Please.

MATERIALS:
- watercolor paints (there are two main types of watercolors, tubes or pads of pigments- I use the pads)
- watercolor brushes (these are often finer bristle brushes with a pointed tip)
- glass of water
- paper (either watercolor paper or regular card stock, as seen below)
- paper towels (for the cleanup, believe me, there will be cleanup)


INSTRUCTIONS:
1: Figure out the look of the card you are trying to make (i.e. flowers, ombre, a pattern, etc.) and base your color selection on the design you are going for. You will also need to decide what kind of paper you would like to use.

2: Use water to mix up the watercolor paints- the more water you add to the paint, the lighter the pigment becomes.

3: Apply paints to the paper and make something pretty (or try to at least)
NOTE: the more you apply color on color, your pigments will begin to look muddier/browner.

Do you like to work with watercolors?

Do you have other mediums that you like to work with better?


GOOD LUCK!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...