Thursday, July 31, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: WHERE'D YOU GO BERNADETTE?

In July, we kicked off a new feature we are pretty jazzed up about over here at You Me Oui- the monthly Book Club. To start it off, we read Where'd You Go Bernadette? by Maria Semple. There was a lot of hype about this book on the interwebs already, so we figured we should get with the times, and give it a go.

WARNING: post contains spoiler alerts!!! Read ahead with caution!!! You have been warned!

What was you favorite part or parts of the book?
CARLY:  I really struggle with this question, but I think one of my favorite parts of the book was when Bernadette decided to take revenge on her neighbor when the neighbor requested (pretty much required) her to remove the blackberry bushes from her yard. Bernadette commissions this gigantic sign to hang on the front of her gate, facing the neighborhood of people and parents she so strongly dislikes. And then it backfires by sliding into the offending neighbor's home and ruining part of it. What I liked about this is that she actually did the type of thing that I think a lot of people fantasize about doing. And then it went horribly wrong, showing us that maybe there's a reason we don't usually go through on those slightly ridiculous dreams of revenge.

SINA:  I think the book as a whole was my favorite part of the book (wow Sina- what a cop-out). but seriously, this was one of the better books that I have read in a while, it was a quick read, it was well written, and it was full of great characters. BUT if I had to pick, I guess I might say when Bee and her dad (Elgie) were on the boat, and after him resisting the idea of Bernadette being alive, he started to come around to the idea of her hiding in Antarctica.

What was your least favorite part or parts of the book?
C:  Probably my least favorite part was the fact that I kept forgetting how old Bee was supposed to be. Which leads me to believe that I either don't spend enough time around 14 year olds (or 15? I still don't know) or that the tone was inconsistent or inaccurate for that character at times. So often I felt more like she was about 12 years old.

S:  I really did NOT like Audrey and Soo-Lin's conversations. I had a tough time understanding how they did not like Bernadette with such a passion, AND I really did not like when Soo-Lin seduced Elgin and got pregnant (after the first time they spent the night together).

Who was your favorite character?
C:  Normally for me to really enjoy a book I have to bond pretty strongly with at least one character. Oddly, as much as I liked this book, I didn't feel a particular affinity for, or identify with, any of the characters. I think Audrey really redeems herself in the end, but because the writing style was from so many perspectives, it was hard for me to attach. OH - I loved Manjula though. I still like to think she's real, and I loved imagining her, over in India, reading these insane emails from Bernadette. And not acknowledging any of it. So great.

S:  This is a tough question for me, because Maria Semple really does a great job of writing all of her characters, and it's very tough to only pick one. I hate to be cliché- but I would have to go with Bernadette. She is a free spirit who speaks her mind, and I really admire that. I wish I could be more like that in my own life.

Who was your least favorite character?
C:  I have to agree with Sina on this one and say I don't like Soo Lin very much either. Her Victims Against Victimization support group basically tells you everything you need to know about her. She's horribly insecure and codependent. And clearly a bit manipulative as well. But always eager to frame herself as the one being wronged. No thanks.

S:  I really wouldn't say I have a least favorite character, but there is someone I do not like as much as all of the others. After the big "plot twist" in the middle part of the book, some of the characters change from good to bad for me (and vice versa), and one in particular is Soo Lin. I did not like that she swooped in as soon as she was that Elgin (or Elgie, as she started calling him- that floozy...) was vulnerable and she leached on to that. I was not a fan.

What are your thoughts on the characters as a whole?
C:  Using all of the different forms of communication allowed a fairly well rounded view of all of the characters. They were very distinct, and well developed, and the way they all interacted was very believable. Like I said, with perhaps some of the experiences of Bee. But that could just be me.

S:  Like I mentioned before. I really liked how Maria Semple wrote the characters as true individuals and as a cohesive unit. She made sure they each had their own individual identities and that they had a place with each other. I think that it was really important for this particular kind of story that they each have something to bring to the table. I enjoyed reading all of the letters where you learned about each of the characters on an individual level and what was important to them, as well as how they interacted with other people.
via
What did you think about Bernadette's character? Is she a good mother? A good wife?
C:  I think Bernadette is someone who many people know, but don't realize they know, and have possibly passed unfair judgement on. We are allowed to have this extreme in depth insight into Bernadette's apparent eccentricities. But we also get to see that the other parents at the school are not aware of Bernadette's past, and judge her very harshly for her behavior, not realizing she's actually quite severely depressed.

S:  I love how fun Bernadette is. She marches to the beat of her own drum, and she doesn't let little things like social norms affect her behavior. She is so caring and thoughtful when it comes to Bee- she puts notes in to her lunchbox, and DVD's under her pillow instead of money for

What did you think about Elgin's character? Do you think he is a good father? A good husband?
C:  Elgie is a bit of a confusing one for me. My dad is a computer guy, so I know they can be a bit difficult to figure out sometimes. I truly believe that he thought he was doing his best, for the most part. But of everyone involved, we get his perspective on things the least, if at all. I think maybe only through his interactions with Soo Lin, and those are controlled by her experience and what she's portraying to Audrey. So although Elgie seems nice, he also feels the most like a stranger to me out of any character in this book.

S:  I am still trying to figure out what I really think of Elgin. I think he means well in most aspects of this life- he works as hard as he does and works the long hours that he does so he can provide for his family and so that they can uphold a certain lifestyle- and he truly thinks he is doing good work (Samantha 2 is going to help disabled veterans live on their own). However, he is not there for his family like they need him- like when Audrey Griffin comes charging up the hill and yelling at Bernadette (and Bee) about the landslide that hit her house, and when Bernadette started to "unwind" mentally. He also spent the night with Soo-Lin, which is a no-no. BUT- he redeems himself on the boat ride with Bee to Antarctica. Thus, I am torn.

What surprised you most about the book?
C:  Honestly what surprised me most was that they found Bernadette. I don't know why, but I went into this book with the expectation that the story was just how she disappeared, and that she disappeared, and then maybe it would cover a bit of the coping process. But she wouldn't be found. Or she would, and she'd be dead. I guess I'm morbid like that.

S:  Well I think the obvious- that Bernadette disappeared... but more so that Audrey had a change of heart and realized that she was putting a mother away fro her lies, and that she helped Bernadette escape from the intervention and being admitted to "the loony bin".

Was there anything else that you found particularly unexpected?
C:  Manjula! I feel like that story line wasn't completely fleshed out. Because there was clearly someone, in India or elsewhere, who was fulfilling a lot of Bernadette's requests. Everything from booking her cruise and ordering all of their travel gear, to that ridiculous sign she wanted put up, to making reservations for their Thanksgiving dinner! That's quite an effort to steal someone's identity and/or belongings, and I, for one, would love to see a follow up story about the type of people who would go to those lengths just for some valuables.

S: Other than the obvious part about the main character disappearing, I found that when Audrey Griffin had a charge of heart in the middle of the book toward Bernadette and decided to help her escape being sent to the loony bin- it restored my faith in her.

Did you like how the book was written?
C:  It's always fun to read a book with a different format. I'm a fan of the mixed media, where people incorporate emails and other documents to drive the story or offer additional information that would otherwise be difficult or confusing to include if the whole story was from only one source.

S:  I like that it was written from a few different people's perspectives. It made it a little more interesting to read. I also like that it was written about a few different time periods, so we got a lot of back story about the characters, which helped give us context for why things were happening the way that they were. I think that it was very well thought out.

Was there any particular part of the book that really stood out to you?
C:  I think the Soo Lin storyline got a bit out of hand. I was along for the ride as far as the budding friendship situation, then the one night stand, and yes, that a pregnancy could happen. But when Elgie bought her a house and was living there part time and getting to know her kids, that was weird and confusing. Because at no time did anyone convey (not even Soo Lin) a romantic connection between them. Just a very weird obligation. And I just don't believe that he would've gone that far that fast, when even according to Soo Lin he barely wanted to have sex with her the one time that they did.

S:  I wouldn't say that there was one particular part of the book that really stood out at me- but more the complete package. I thought it was really something wonderful how the characters evolved and grew and developed over the 320 some pages, and you really get to know what each of them is thinking about one another.

Do you think that Elgin and Bernadette had/have a happy marriage? And do you think there is a future for them?
C:  The ending seems to suggest that what they were really suffering from was a breakdown in communication and a difficulty with understanding what the other person needed and how they felt. The incident in this book was a very dramatic way of getting them to see this, but provided them an opportunity to move forward together, and to try to make things work. I don't think that what happened would need to be the end of it for them, but they wouldn't be able to go back to the way things were before.

S:  I think that even though they have their issues, they are generally happy- they are just like any other normal couple out there. Yes, I think it makes a difference that he is not around as much as maybe she and Bee would like him to be, but I think that Bernadette is a very forgiving person, and generally understands that he is doing it for the greater good, plus she is preoccupied with Bee and her friend Kennedy and the dog Ice Cream. I do think there is a possibility of a future for them, but they will BOTH have to work extra hard at it.

What did you all think of the book? Do you have any answers to these questions, or have any questions of your own? Let's start a dialogue!!!

If you want to hear what Maria Semple herself has to say about Elgin, the format, and Antarctica, she answered a couple questions over at Real Simple.

Please comment! We would LOVE to start a discussion!!!

Also, we will be announcing the book for August on Monday next week. Stay Tuned!!!


3 comments :

  1. I enjoyed the book! I had a hard time getting into the book because I didn't really know where the plot was going. I actually really liked Audrey's character. She reminded me of Regina George (Mean Girls). The author did a great job making Audrey the "angel" in the end. But I have to agree, Sina, Bernadette is my favorite. She is such a mess and I love it.

    I kinda wish there was more resolution in the end to a lot of the character's "stories". I flipped to the next page after the last and even said out loud: "That's it?".

    I really got into the book when Bernadette was escaping, "Majula" story unfolding, and Elgie being unfaithful. I actually felt sad when he started a kinda-relationship with Soo Lin. I felt like I got to know Bernadette so well and felt so sad that the long marriage was crumbling. I did think that they had a good marriage though. They seemed to get eachother and have their lives revolve around Bee and take-out dinners.

    Overall, it was an easy read and a cute story. I kept envisioning the storyline like a comedy movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you completely! I loved the Manjula side story!

      And good news to you... like and good book, the movie rights, got bought up right away! It will be interesting who they will pick at Bernadette... My guess is Helena Bonham Carter... You?
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2365580/

      Delete
  2. They should pick Helena Bonham Carter!!! She's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...