Tuesday, July 29, 2014

6 FREE APPS THAT GET MORE OUT OF YOUR SMARTPHONE

These days we're all carrying around these ridiculously powerful little computers in our pockets, and we use these computers to mainly take pictures of cats and food, play games, and possibly send the occasional text. I, for one, am also often trying to look for ways to use my phone less and interact with the world more. However, I think there are some very useful ways for our little smartphones to contribute to our lives, and I'd like to share them with you. And the best part is, these apps are all free AND available on Android and iPhone.


There are LOTS of exercise apps, and I imagine most of them are rarely used. However, there is a new 7 minute workout app (there are actually lots of versions, I have one, they are all extremely similar) that is short enough to actually do the trick. It's a simple design, one giant button that you press to start, and then it counts down, out loud if you like, through 14 different 30 second exercises. The exercises are basic, jumping jacks, wall sits, etc. And you only have to make it through 30 seconds! 

If you have a Kindle, or even if you don't, this can be a great alternative to keep up with your reading. Maybe your Kindle doesn't fit in your bag, or maybe you don't like carrying it around when you're just going to work (and you drive so you can't read in transit). I have frequently used it at work, when I have an unexpectedly slow day, and the great thing is it automatically syncs between your devices so I never have to worry about losing your place.

3. Super Bright LED Flashlight

Ok, so this one might seem a bit ridiculous, but I've used it TWICE in the last two weeks to help other people see things. And it was convenient since I already had my phone in my hand. There are a million of these in the app store, this is the one I use. They're almost all free. The flashlight app really just turns the flash in your camera on, but it's very bright and makes an excellent light source. Need to look under the bed? Flashlight app. Need to see behind the TV to find an input? Flashlight app. Your welcome.

4. Mint

For anyone who has several bank accounts, loses track of when their bills are due, or just likes to keep tabs on their spending, this is the app for you. Mint will send you alerts when you have a bill coming up or when you have a low balance. It will also email you summaries of how you spent your money in a week. You can customize the budget to how you spend, or want to spend your money, and you can categorize your purchases to match the budget. For example, sometimes a purchase might automatically categorize as a restaurant purchase but was actually grocery. You can change it. 


I don't know about you, but I really hate counting calories. It's tedious, and you always feel hungry. But sometimes it's necessary if you want to get in shape and lose some weight. In fact, using this app and counting calories is the most effective way I've found so far. If you have an Android phone you can even put a widget on your home screen that tells you how many calories you have left for the day at a glance. Usually disappointing, but like I said, helpful :)

6. Zedge

I don't know about the circles you run in, but among my friends unique ringtones seem to be a thing of the past. Everyone is fairly content with the defaults that come with their phone, and no one does too much work to find new ones. I mostly fall into this camp as well, but in the event that I start to want to mix things up, I always like to have this app handy. It has a great search function, and almost every sound clip and song that you can think of. It's very user friendly and allows you a brand new ringtone or notification sound in seconds. Enjoy!

What apps do you use to make the most of your smartphone? Let us know!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...