Friday, August 29, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: CALL THE MIDWIFE

Last month, we kicked off a new feature we are pretty jazzed up about over here at You Me Oui- the monthly Book Club. For August- we read Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth. Carly had been pretty excited to read the book since having seen the PBS show, so we jumped on the bandwagon, and read it too!

WARNING: post may contain spoiler alerts!!! Read ahead with caution!!! You have been warned!

What was you favorite part or parts of the book?

CARLY: Having recently read Life After Life, I feel like this gives an additional more historical perspective into what it was like to live in London during and after the World Wars. We so often have an awareness of the American perspective, it's interesting to hear from a first world country that was directly bombed and impacted during that same time.

SINA:  
I love to read and learn about history, and knowing that this is her her real life story  (or at least mostly true to it) makes it that much more fun to read. I love knowing more about the time period, and the struggles that people in different parts (and times periods) of the world had to go through- I find it so interesting!

What was your least favorite part or parts of the book?

C:
I would have to agree with Sina on this one. Having watched the show, thankfully they aren't quite as graphic on screen as they are in the book, and I suppose it's useful and interesting information, but a bit gross at times.

S:  
I don't know if I would necessarily say this my least favorite part of the book, but I think that general in-depth details that she goes in to in some of the "scenes" can get to be a lot...

Who was your favorite character?

C:
It is uncanny to me how much the main character reminds me of a British friend I have from grad school. The girl who plays Jenny in the show looks a lot like her as well, so it's possible that primed me to see even more similarities while reading the book. I feel like she offers an alternative type of woman for that time, as she's not married and very independent. It's refreshing.

S:  Hmm... This one is a toss up... I like Sister Monica Joan- she is so light hearted and fun and just loves cake! I also really like Chummy Noakes- she is so honest and wonderful. I LOVE that she is a 6'2 warm-hearted woman who decided to devote her life to midwifery and missionary work.

Who was your least favorite character?

C:
I didn't really have a least favorite character. Chummy is very likeable but I have to admit, particularly in print reading her "posh-isms" was a little bit more annoying. All the "what hos" and "jolly goods".

S: 
This is a difficult book to have a least favorite character in- but I think that a lot of the men in general rub me the wrong way because of their lack of involvement in the whole family life and birthing process. Like she said at one point- their part is done after they plant their seed. That being said, it is the time period, and I understand that, it is just difficult to fathom that mind set sometimes- I'm glad we've moved past that for the most part.

What are your thoughts on the characters as a whole?

C:
Again I'd have to agree with Sina on this one. It's amazing the type of independence these ladies embraced during a time when settling down and creating a family unit was what women were supposed to aspire to. Biking through London in the middle of the night on their own - bold!

S: 
 I like how strong they are and how they are the type of people who do not take crap from anyone! I think it is refreshing reading a book with a lot of very strong independent women in it. And knowing that it is based on real life- I would love to meet these women!
via

What surprised you most about the book?

C: Again I'd have to go back to the independence these women had, and the respect that they were given.

S:  I think the entire story- how poor these people were and yet still kept having kids, how "heroic" the midwives were and how they were held with such high esteem. I also think that so many people would give up everything to be a midwife is pretty crazy- I don't know if I could do it.

Was there anything else that you found particularly unexpected?

C: I found it remarkable the way that the "rougher" crowd treated the midwives with the highest level of respect. I wouldn't find it surprising for the nuns to be respected because they are members of a religious order, but for the midwives not associated with the convent to garner that same level of respect was pretty amazing.

S:  That nuns were (/are?) midwives!

Did you like how the book was written?

C: I liked how the stories could each stand on their own, but some of the information learned carried from one story to the next. I also liked the way she wove in historical explanations and descriptions of what things were like in London and England as a whole, which gave more context to her individual experiences.

S:  I felt like she was telling me a very very detailed story. It was nice. Different. Like I said before, it got to be a lot at some points, but I liked the story, so that saved it.

Was there any particular part of the book that really stood out to you?

C: For me what stood out the most was the incredibly slow change that that part of London went through. I'm sure it's similar to how things are now, but things advanced much more quickly so it was easier to see the extreme change in conditions. I mean, when she talks about having one "bathroom" in the courtyard or per floor, when other people at the same time were getting running water and having bathrooms in their flats it just blew my mind.

S: 
Nothing too crazy stood out, other than just how much things have changes in the last 60 years. From the family side of things, to how far women have come, to the technological side of things- it really puts things in perspective, and (not to be sappy) it makes you happy for what you have now. We could be a lot worse off.

What did you all think of the book? Do you have any answers to these questions, or have any questions of your own? Let's start a dialogue!!!

Please comment! We would LOVE to start a discussion!!!

Also, we will be announcing the book for September on Tuesday next week (since Monday is a Holiday). Stay Tuned!!!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...