Tuesday, August 12, 2014

PAPER CRAFT SERIES: CANVAS AND SCRAPBOOK PAPER


I'm always on the lookout for a cheap craft, and more importantly, one that I can use and/or proudly display. Several friends wanted to get together to try their hand at some more paper art to put up on their walls, and I was going to be a casual observer (who obtained permission to blog about their efforts). The night before, I decided to get in on the fun using an old damaged canvas I had laying around. 

Here is the piece that served as my inspiration.

Pretty simple, all you need is a canvas (mine is 14"x16"... I think...), some acrylic paint (I chose black and it was only .69 at Michaels), a brush, paper scraps of your choosing, and classic Elmer's glue. 
The goods
Paint that canvas, cut out your leaf shapes, and the center of the flower, and then if you want to make sure you have enough cut out and a sufficient variety, make sure that
Painted canvas, plus the cut out shapes
I found it easiest to arrange everything first, and then working my way around the canvas, glueing each leaf down with just a dab of glue at the center. I would strongly recommend using basic card stock or scrapbook paper. The different textured paper gave me some trouble, which I'll try to show below. But some of the leaves curled and were nearly impossible to keep down.
The silver and the purple striped ones would not STAY DOWN
Once you've done your best to get them all glued down flat, use some Mod Podge (or make your own, because it's ridiculous not to) and coat the entire canvas. Technically you wouldn't have to do the part that's just paint, but I did anyway. I might go back and add more leaves, looking back at the other piece and seeing how filled out it is. 

Try it out and let us know what you think! Also, totally serious about the Mod Podge. JUST MAKE IT.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...